77 Quotes About Building Good Habits in 2023
There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
What’s the big
deal about habits, anyway?
Well, for one,
the things we do repeatedly and consistently end up shaping our future. Whether
we’ll be successful or not often depends on the quality of our habits.
Our belief that
habits form the crux of every person’s success led to the development of this blog called Develop Good Habits. Its main goal is to help you develop applicable habits that allow you live a better and
more successful life.
To that end,
today’s post is a collection of quotes about habits that will direct the course
of your life towards happiness and success. We’ve featured motivational quotes
about habits, quotes about breaking bad habits, quotes about the power of
routine, and quotes about habits for success.
First, let the following quotes serve as your daily motivation while you hustle and face everyday hurdles. Your good daily habits will serve you well over time. You’ve got this!
Quotes About Habits
- “I have learned that champions aren’t just born; champions can be made when they embrace and commit to life-changing positive habits.” – Lewis Howes
(Check out this post for more destiny quotes.)
- “Forget inspiration. Habit is more
dependable. Habit will sustain you whether you’re inspired or not.” – Octavia Butler
- “Good habits, once established are
just as hard to break as are bad habits.” – Robert Puller
- “If you want to change your world,
you need to start cultivating good habits.” – Mina Tadros
- “We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” – Aristotle
“Watch your thoughts, they become your words; watch your words, they become your actions; watch your actions, they become your habits; watch your habits, they become your character; watch your character, it becomes your destiny.” – Lao Tzu
(Here are the best Lao Tzu quotes to inspire you to greatness.)
- “If you are going to achieve
excellence in big things, you develop the habit in little matters. Excellence
is not an exception, it is a prevailing attitude.” – Colin Powell
- “If you pick the right small behavior
and sequence it right, then you won’t have to motivate yourself to have it
grow. It will just happen naturally, like a good seed planted in a good spot.” – BJ Fogg
Have you ever
wondered why it’s easy to form bad habits, but so difficult to break them?
Habits are formed
through a structure called a habit loop. According to Charles Duhigg, author of
the book The Power of Habits, this
habit loop consists of the cue, the routine, and the reward. They all work
together to form our habits.
The cue is a
signal that that shuts down or momentarily numbs your reasoning in order for a
routine to be established. A cue can be anything—a person, object, or even your
The routine is
what you do when triggered by the cue. This is what turns an action into a
The reward part
makes doing the routine seem worthwhile, at least to your subconscious. It
tells your brain that the routine is something worth doing again and again.
our brains cannot distinguish between good and bad habits.
stressed out individuals going to a bar for a drink and feeling their muscles
relax after the first shot of alcohol get a reward—they feel better.
In this way, most
unhealthy and bad habits act on the pleasure centers of our brains. That’s why
it’s often difficult (but not impossible) to break these negative habits.
Not sure if it’s
really a bad habit? Head over to this ultimate list
of bad habits and see if your habit is one of the 283 items on the list. And if you are looking for ways to break
those negative habits, you might want to check out this
post that lists 27 proven steps for breaking them.
The following quotes
about breaking bad habits can serve as a motivation to keep you on track to
break those negative habits and creating positive ones.
Bad Habits Quotes
“It is easier to prevent bad habits than to break them.” – Benjamin Franklin
- “You leave old habits behind by
starting out with the thought, ‘I release the need for this in my life’.” – Wayne W. Dyer
- “A man who can’t bear to share his
habits is a man who needs to quit them.” – Stephen King
- “The chains of habit are too weak to
be felt until they are too strong to be broken.” – Samuel Johnson
“The secret to permanently breaking any bad habit is to love something greater than the habit.” – Bryant McGill
- “Bad habits are easier to abandon today than
tomorrow.” – Anonymous
- “We first make our habits, and then
our habits make us.”
– John Dryden
- “There are two types of habits: ones
which comfort us, and ones which would be a comfort if we stopped.” – Catherine Pulsifer
- “Today, many will choose to free themselves from the personal imprisonment of their bad habits. Why not you?” – Steve Maraboli
earlier, routine is what turns an action into a habit.
It is essential
to create routines that transform actions into positive habits. This is the
secret of many successful people.
Here are some
specific reasons why routine is important:
With that said,
here are some quotes about the power of routine to help you become more mindful
of the actions you do repeatedly.
Power of Routine Quotes
- “The secret of your future is hidden
in your daily routine.” – Mike Murdock
- “You’ll never change your life until
you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your
daily routine.” –
John C. Maxwell
- “To change a habit, you must keep the
old cue and deliver the old reward, but insert a new routine.” – Charles Duhigg
- “In essence, if we want to direct our lives, we must take control of our consistent actions. It’s not what we do that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” – Tony Robbins
- “Habit allows us to go from ‘before’
to ‘after,’ to make life easier and better. Habit is notorious – and rightly so
– for its ability to direct even against our will; but by mindfully shaping our
habits, we can harness the power of mindlessness as a sweeping force for
serenity, energy, and growth.” – Gretchen Rubin
- “Most people can’t handle a structureless
life.” – Dough
- “Out of routine comes inspiration.” – Mike Kostabi
- “Get on a daily routine… Working is
a process not a product. Success comes from the word, succeed: Latin: ‘to under
go.’ You must keep moving.” – Nicoletta Baumeister
Routine, in an intelligent man, is a sign of ambition.” – W. H. Auden
When you have
good habits, success is never far behind.
Good study habits
help you get better grades.
habits help you become more productive, with higher chances of progressing in
habits make you healthier and help you live longer.
The benefits of
good habits are virtually endless.
about habits for success serve as a reminder of what we receive when we
practice good habits.
About Habits for Success
Champions don’t do extraordinary things. They do ordinary things, but they do them without thinking, too fast for the other team to react. They follow the habits they’ve learned.” – Charles Duhigg
- “Winning is not a sometime thing;
it’s an all time thing. You don’t win once in a while, you don’t do things
right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit.
Unfortunately, so is losing.” – Steve Lombardi
- “Successful people are simply those with successful habits.” – Brian Tracy
- “Success is the sum of small efforts
repeated day in day out.” – Robert Collier
- “Good habits are the key to all
success.” – Og
- “Successful people aren’t born that way. They become successful by establishing the habit of doing things unsuccessful people don’t like to do.” – William Makepeace Thackeray
- “Humans are imperfect creatures. You don’t ‘succeed’ because you have no weaknesses; you succeed because you find your unique strengths and focus on developing habits around them.” – Tim Ferriss
The trick to success is to choose the right habit and bring just enough discipline to establish it.” – Gary Keller & Jay Papasan
- “I can predict the long-term outcome
of your success if you show me your daily habits.” – John Maxwell
- “I never could have done what I have done without the habits of punctuality, order, and diligence, without the determination to concentrate myself on one subject at a time.” – Charles Dickens
- “Energy is usually at its peak during the first part of your day, which means you should be completing habits that inspire or excite you about the day ahead.” – S. J. Scott
- “Definiteness of purpose is the starting point from which one must begin.” – Napoleon Hill
- “What you do every day matters more than what you do once in a while.” – Gretchen Rubin
- “Let go of your old tired habits and plant new habits in fertile soil.” – Harley King
- “You cannot change your future, but you can change your habits, and surely your habits will change your future.” – Abdul Kalam
- “The man who makes it the habit of his life to go to bed at nine o’clock, usually gets rich and is always reliable. Of course, going to bed does not make him rich I merely mean that such a man will in all probability be up early in the morning and do a big day’s work, so his weary bones put him to bed early.” – Elbert Hubbard
- “Our character is basically a composite of our habits. Because they are consistent, often unconscious patterns, they constantly, daily, express our character.” – Stephen Covey
The best way to stop a bad habit is to never begin it.” – J. C. Penney
- “I realized that success is not a one-time act or a moment of luck and that “Overnight Success” is never true. Success is created through and by creating a habit caused by proper self-discipline.” – Jan McKingley Hilado
- “Nothing is stronger than habit.” – Ovid
- “By developing and practising good habits each day, you affirm that you do have control over the very core of your life in the midst of the chaos.” – Stephen Guise
- “The truth is, you don’t break a bad habit; you replace it with a good one.” – Denis Waitley
- “An unfortunate thing about this world is that good habits are much easier to give up than the bad ones.” – Errol Flynn
- “And once you understand that habits can change, you have the freedom and the responsibility to remake them.” – Charles Duhigg
- “Out of our beliefs are born deeds; out of our deeds we form habits; out of our habits grows our character; and on our character we build our destiny.” – Henry Hancock
- “Commit to stop making excuses. When we make excuses, we lie to ourselves and continue bad habits.” – Joyce Meyer
- “By simply breaking some of your more ingrained habits you will help dissolve away your suffering.” – Vidyamala Burch
- “All people are the same; only their habits differ.” – Confucius
- “A habit cannot be tossed out the window; it must be coaxed down the stairs a step at a time.” – Mark Twain
- “Great is the power of habit. It teaches us to bear fatigue and to despise wounds and pain.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
- “You are what you do repeatedly every day. If excellence is something you’re striving for, then it’s not an accident. It’s a habit.” – Greg Plitt
- “Choices are at the root of every one of your results. Each choice starts a behavior that over time becomes a habit.” – Darren Hardy
- “Not only is procrastination bad because it makes us less efficient, it can also ruin the entire notion of building a habit in the first place.” – J. J. Thomas
- “Habits are difficult to break, but they’re not impossible. Learning how to rework your vocabulary and train yourself to stop saying, ‘I can’t,’ will take time, but you can do it.” – Alex Fitel
- “The common denominator of success – the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful – lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.” – Albert Gray
- “Success is hastened or delayed by one’s habits.” – Paramahansa Yogananda
- “You shouldn’t be challenging yourself to change a habit for just a short period of time. The point of habits is change behavior over the long term.” – Richard D. Rawlings
- “Habits are never-ending goals, if you think about it. They have no deadline and no endpoint. They are casual daily activities like brushing your teeth or combing your hair.” – Zoe McKey
- “Good habits are worth being fanatical about.” – John Irving
Successful people form habits that feed their success, instead of habits that feed their failure.” – Jeff Olson
- “Changing the cluttering habit is the same as changing any other bad habit: You must want to change. You have to understand and learn how to avoid and stop bad habits.” – K. Collins
- “It’s not the big things that add up in the end; it’s the hundreds, thousands, or millions of little things that separate the ordinary from the extraordinary.” – Darren Hardy
- “Your net worth to the world is usually determined by what remains after your bad habits are subtracted from your good ones.” – Benjamin Franklin
- “Quality is not an act, it is a habit.” – Aristotle
- “Motivation gets you going and habit gets you there. Make motivation a habit and you will get there more quickly and have more fun on the trip.” – Zig Ziglar
- “Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity.” – St. Augustine
Thoughts on Quotes About Habits
always be a part of our lives, but they don’t define who we are. We are still
in control. It’s up to you whether you decide to cultivate bad or good habits.
If you want to
learn more about the impact of habits on our lives, how to build good habits,
or how to break bad habits, check out the following posts:
All the best in your quest for a better life!
Finally, if you need help with building habits, then check out this nine-step blueprint that walks you through the entire process of creating lifelong habits.)